Grape & Grain has always been your friendly neighbourhood wine and beer supply shop. Now we are branching out into “On-site Winemaking”, sometimes known as B.O.P.’s (Brew On Premises), U-Vints, U-Brews or simply a “winemaking” shop. The basic concept is we can now provide you a place to brew your wine or beer. Our equipment is used for every step of the process, and we do all the heavy lifting and clean up.
Making wine with us is as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
- YOU START THE WINE OR BEER – Come see us anytime, pick out your wine, and start it up in our facility using our equipment. Mix the ingredients in our clean sterilized primaries, and add the yeast.
- WE DO ALL THE WORK – Transferring, stabilizing, degassing, clearing, and filtering. We do all of it. All you have to do is have patience for 4-6 weeks (2-3 weeks for beer).
- YOU BOTTLE THE WINE OR BEER – Schedule an appointment and come in and bottle your wine. It will be filtered and ready for you, bottle fillers, corks and corkers will be provided. Beer is not filtered, and will require a period of 2 weeks additional time to self-prime before consumption.
Each batch of wine makes 23 litres, approximately 30 750ml bottles (or the equivalent). Beer also produces 23 litres, approximately 60 or more 341ml bottles (or the equivalent). To make onsite, you choose your wine (prices will vary) and we add an ‘on premise’ fee of $50 per batch. Beer choices are limited to BrewHouse kits at this time, and our ‘on premise’ fee is $30 per batch. Corks and caps are included at no extra charge. It takes 4 to 6 weeks from starting wine to the bottling stage, and 2-3 weeks for beer.
Optional additional charges may include:
- Extended storage time beyond 6 weeks – $2 per week.
- Bottles – $12/case for regular 750 ml wine bottles. Ask for details on other options or beer bottles.
- Labels and Shrink Caps – about $4 and $2, but some kits come with labels.
To get started simply come in and we can answer any questions you may have about the types and styles of wine that can be made. All of the wine kits we carry have been tested and we guarantee their quality. Our suppliers are all Canadian based, but they source grape juice from worldwide sources—North America (United States, Canada), South America (Argentina, Chile), Australia, New Zealand, Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Germany), and South Africa.
According to the rules set out by the Liquor and Gaming Authority, the customer is required to start the batch in person by mixing ingredients and ‘sprinkling the yeast’ on a batch of juice/must/wort to initiate the fermentation process. The customer is also required to fill the bottles and cork the wine at a later date. An appointment to start a batch is not required, only to bottle when it is done. Call us – we’ll be happy to set it all up for you.
Pictured here are some of our initial wines just getting started (plus a couple of test beer batches) from late May 2016.